DPS909 Lab2: My-Note

This week in DPS909, I published my first open source project, a simple note taking app.
The app utilizes a content-editable div in which the user can type any note within the space. The app doesn't require any external database like MongoDB to store data entered by the user. Instead, it utilizes the FilerJS Browser System Library. This library essentially saves input entered by the user to a local file on their desktop. In this manner, the user can maintain progress in their note even after closing the web page. To implement my app's saving and clearing note functionalities, I used the Hotkeys.js library This library allows the user to use keyboard shortcuts to save (Ctrl+s) and clear (Ctrl+c). The user receives alerts when their message is saved or cleared.




An important aspect of this lab was working with Git and Github. This lab taught me how to create a new repository on Github, clone my repository to my local machine, and upload new files from my local machine to my repository. If you are new to open source, I suggest this walkthrough available at https://tinyurl.com/cdotgitws. You'll become more familiar with the various git command and gain valuable insight to the relationship between Git and Github.

This lab taught me about some skills that I'm lacking in, mainly using other libraries within my open source applications. Truth, I had little experience in using either FilerJs or Hotkeys.js.  I know that my app would have looked nicer if I could use the PaperCSS library. This added feature would have made my app more appealing for the user, but I wasn't sure how to include it in my application.

Links
My github repo: https://github.com/robertbegna/my-note
Live version: https://robertbegna.github.io/my-note/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DPS909 Lab 1 Blog Post: Windows Calculator